Friday, September 27, 2013

Rainy Writing Days

Rain smells the same in Tokyo. That warm earthy smell that rises into the air when it first starts falling. When I was a kid my dad told me it was the smell of the water mixing into the soil, but there's not much soil to be seen here. I think I've actually read that the smell is ozone, but I might be making that up.

In general the rain in softer here than at home. I grew up with giant rain drops that would splat on the ground, falling quickly and making a comforting drumming noise. Sometimes the raindrops are so small they look like mist here, falling more slowly and making less noise (just like Japanese people). It's a peaceful sort of rain.

One of my first memories from moving here last year is eating lunch at Ark Hills Cafe with Raku. The wide open space with the rough wooden tables is so inviting and the food is always comforting. Today we're sitting here again, drinking warm drinks and writing.  The glass doors have been opened up to let the cool air in - it's finally comfortable in Tokyo after a long steamy summer - and now a gentle rain is falling. Sometimes that's all it takes to remember how good life here is.


Hours: 11:00-11:00
Phone: 03-6229-2666
Address: 1-3-40 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment