Saturday, April 5, 2014

April Showers

I've encountered a lot of rain lately. I'm so glad that John and I were able to see the Sakura both Monday and Tuesday nights because they turned out to be my only chances. We managed to hit Nakameguro, Chiodorigafuchi, and Yaskuni Shrine - some of the most famous places. By Wednesday it was raining, and I think all the wind and rain have brought down a lot of the flowers.


Thursday morning I woke up to the news that my grandmother was dying and after buying a plane ticket I dashed through the rain to catch a train to the airport in time. Within hours I was leaving the country (for the second time in a month after not leaving for almost a year and a half straight!) and landed in Detroit to more rain. After a quick connectionI made it to upstate New York and it's raining here too.



My grandma always was a strong minded woman, so she held on until early this morning, which gave all of us time to spend with her and with each other. She lived to be 98! When I think back about her now I remember the stories she used to tell me when I was little (usually about squirrels), the way she took care of me on days that I stayed home from school sick, how soft her hands always were, and how mischievous she was up until the very end. I feel very lucky to have had such a close relationship with her. 






No comments:

Post a Comment