Sunday, May 17, 2015

Yakiudon from Japanese Soul Cooking

A couple of days ago I made another recipe from Japanese Soul Cooking. Yakiudon is a stir-fried noodle dish, but unlike the more common yakisoba which uses ramen noodles, this uses the thicker udon noodles.

I scaled the recipe down to a single serving and made it for lunch, so I can only give you my own opinion this time, not John's as well, but he's not the biggest noodle fan, so no loss there. The recipe was very quick and simple to make. From taking the ingredients out of the fridge to sitting down to eat it only took me about fifteen minutes, and that includes taking photos.

As I was cooking I wondered if the recipe would be bland because the list of ingredients is so short: noodles, pork, cabbage, onion, and mushrooms with just a little soy sauce and sake. I did leave out one ingredient - the dried bonito (fish) flakes. I'm not the biggest seafood fan and I didn't know when I would ever use the rest, so I just decided to skip them. I'm sure they just increase the depth of savory flavor in the dish, so if it had been bland it would have been my own fault, but it turns out the recipe still works fine without them.

Much to my delight the noodles weren't bland at all. I think this recipe really encapsulates a lot of the tenants of Japanese cooking: simple fresh ingredients combined to create pleasant and harmonious flavors. All of the ingredients really complimented each other to create a satisfying meal. The portion size is also generous, it's very filling without being too oily or heavy.

Read About Other JSC Recipes:
Oyakodon/Gyudon/Shiso Pasta
Mabo Dofu
Sapporo Soup Curry
Sesame Karaage
Omurice
Tan Tan Men
Pork Gyoza
Ebi Chili
Japanese Soul Cooking Review

No strange ingredients this time





No comments:

Post a Comment