Friday, August 16, 2013

Homemade Ravioli

In my last post I mentioned that I made some ricotta cheese.  Once I knew how easy it was I started to wonder what other uses there might be for it.  Then I heard about a shortcut version of homemade ravioli, and knew I had to try it.  Instead of making the pasta dough you use pre-made wonton wrappers.  I was a little skeptical, but thought it was worth a try.  I mixed up some ricotta, parmesan, egg yolk, garlic, nutmeg, and fresh basil for the filling at got to work.

The first step it to outline a sheet with egg wash, and then place a spoonful of filling in the center.  I used the smallest size wrapper, so my spoonfuls were about 1 teaspoon.


Place a second sheet on top, gently squeezing out all the air, then fold the corners over.  The egg wash should make it stick but if you need to, dab a little more on to seal it tightly.


Keep the unused wrappers covered while you're working so they don't dry out.


Once you've made as many as you want, boil them for 1-2 minutes.  I did closer to three minutes, and one of mine exploded.


Drain them and top with sauce and more parmesan if you like.


We both thought they were good, though more delicate than regular ravioli.  The wonton skins are thinner so a fork will tear them pretty easily, and they have a tendency to stick together.  I was worried about that so I put a little oil in the cooking water but it wasn't enough.  You might trying spraying them lightly with cooking spray for a better result.

No comments:

Post a Comment