Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sakura Cocktails

I got so caught up in the start of spring that I didn't do a very good job of blogging last week.  But never fear, I'm back.  And I've been working on sakura cocktail recipes to celebrate the cherry blossoms blooming.

The first drink John and I attempted was a Sakura Martini.  It was pretty strong, and the consensus was that you'd have to really like Gin to like this drink. Now, I really like gin, but even I thought it was a pretty intense drink.  It might be better with vodka, but in general it wasn't necessarily a winner.

Sakura Martini
1.5 oz Gin
0.5 oz Sakura Liqueur
Maraschino Cherry
Ice

Combine Gin and Sakura Liqueur with ice and shake well.  Strain into cocktail glass and garnish with a cherry.


Next up I tried a Sakura Gin and Tonic.  It not only looked prettier, it tasted a lot better too.  I'd recommend this one.

Sakura Gin and Tonic
1.5 oz Gin
0.5 oz Sakura Liqueur
4-6 oz. Tonic Water
Maraschino Cherry
Lime Wedge
Ice

Combine the Gin and Sakura Liqueur over ice, top with tonic, garnish with a maraschino cherry and a generous lime wedge.  On a side note, did you know Tonic Water is different here in Japan?  It's not allowed to have quinine in it, so the flavor is a little different than what I'm used to.


If all else fails, Kirin's got you covered with a Sakura Wine Spritzer perfect for cherry blossom viewing.


3 comments:

  1. Do let me know at this email address if you remember what Sakura Liqueur u bought. Thank you

    gfmozart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my earlier comment went missing,

    if you don't mind could you try to remember what Sakura Liqueur did you use for this cocktail please?

    Thank you

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George,

      I think it was Suntory brand sakura liqueur that I used. But I suspect that any brand would work just as well.

      Delete