Friday, February 13, 2015

Soup Curry from Japanese Soul Cooking

I've finally gotten back to working my way through Japanese Soul Cooking, and last week I made the Sapporo Soup Curry. As a disclaimer, I have to admit I've never had Soup Curry before, but I love most curries, and the picture looked so delicious on a cold wintery night I had to try it.

John was less than excited when he got home because he'd had curry for lunch. Oops.

I was impressed with how simple the recipe was and how quickly it came together. I didn't need to buy any unfamiliar ingredients, and it was easy to chop up all the vegetables while watching TV. (We just got Hulu Plus, and I have been bingeing Nashville) 

The recipe calls for chicken legs, and I'll admit that I was tempted to use chicken breasts. But it seems like cheating to change a recipe and then review it. And the point here is to learn about Japanese cooking, not to adapt Japanese recipes to be more American. I will say that dark meat chicken is a lot harder to work with, it's just so slippery and wiggly even with a super sharp knife. But wow is the texture fantastic!

Overall, the soup was good but not great. I don't think I did a very good job of slicing the zucchini and eggplant into the shape I was supposed to, so there were rather large chunks that didn't have much flavor. And while the broth tasted like curry, the thinner texture of it being soup just made me miss the thicker texture of a normal curry. I wouldn't mind eating it again, but it's not something I would crave.

Read about other JSC Recipes:
Oyakodon/Gyudon/Shiso Pasta
Yakiudon
Mabo Dofu
Sesame Karaage
Omurice
Tan Tan Men
Pork Gyoza
Ebi Chili
Japanese Soul Cooking Review

I love chopping vegetables

It does't look too appetizing in the beginning 
Sapporo Soup Curry

No comments:

Post a Comment