Friday, January 16, 2015

Going to the Doctor in Tokyo

Confession. I'm scared of the doctor. The idea of seeing a doctor here in Japan scares me even more. I've been really lucky to be so healthy while we've been living here, but today I finally had to go to see one.

I was worried about being able to communicate, which seems important in a medical situation, especially being allergic to some antibiotics. I wanted to be able to see an English speaking doctor, but I also wanted to be able to use my national health insurance. A lot of the fancier English clinics only take private insurance.

Tokyo Midtown Medical Center has English speaking doctors, takes walk-ins, accepts national insurance, and is affiliated with Johns Hopkins. Exactly what I was looking for! The clinic is on the 6th floor of Midtown Tower in Roppongi. It's clean, friendly, and professional, and I was very happy with their service. The receptionists, doctors, and even the pharmacists on the same floor all speak English. Within an hour I was able to complete the paperwork, see a doctor, and fill my prescription. I'm still in shock over how affordable it was too. With the national insurance the doctor visit cost 1370 yen and the antibiotic was 770 yen. That's a total of $18.44 at today's exchange rate. 

I still hope I don't need to go to the doctor again any time soon, but I feel so much better just knowing that this clinic exists. If you're looking for English speaking doctors in Tokyo that accept national insurance I highly recommend Tokyo Midtown Medical Center.

Tokyo Midtown Medical Center
Hours: M-F 9:00-7:00, Sat 9:00-12:00, closed Sundays and holidays, Walk-ins Welcome
Phone: 03-5413-7911
Address: 9-7-1, 6F Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Map

No comments:

Post a Comment