Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Shinka Hair Salon

Getting my hair dyed takes twice as long here as it did at home.  I used to think of this as a colossal inconvenience - I mean, who wants to spend 3 hours getting their hair colored?  But, I've decided it's time to adjust my attitude.  For all the time it takes (and all the money I'm spending) I might as well enjoy the experience.  So I've decided to think of it as an extravagant indulgence instead.  I'm guessing that's how the salons want me to feel (and probably how most girls here do feel) because it is much more of an event than it ever was at home.

I've tried out a few places here in Tokyo, but I've been to Shinka Salon twice and I'm really happy with their services.  I'm always greeted at the door and my coat and bags are quickly whisked away. Then I'm offered teas and other beverages and given lots of English magazines (imported from Australia).  They even give you a lap blanket and a pillow so it's more comfortable to rest the magazine in your lap.  Then my stylist (Miyuki) figures out what I want done with my hair.  The dyeing does take absolutely forever, but my understanding is that it's because Japan doesn't allow chemicals as strong as the US uses - and it's taken a million years everywhere I've ever gone, even in Hong Kong.  Then for the hair washing the chairs lift up and flatten out so you're lying down very comfortably while they shampoo your hair (and at least in the winter they cover you with an electric blanket too!)  After the wash comes a shoulder massage.

Yesterday I got my first haircut here.  I've dyed my hair while we've been here over the past several summers, but I've never gotten a haircut in Japan.  I showed Miyuki a picture of what I wanted, and we talked about it for a couple minutes, but then I buried myself in a magazine so I didn't get super nervous watching the hair come off.

It was perfect!
She even gave me some tips on how to style it, and demonstrated for me.  I came home raving about the experience, and I'm sure John thinks I'm turning into a ridiculous spoiled housewife, but I'm just happy to have a place I'm comfortable getting my hair done.
Hours: M-F 11:00-8:30. Sat and Holidays 10:30-6:30, Closed Sundays and 2nd & 4th Mondays
Phone: 03-5575-6767 for English, 03-5575-6768 for Japanese
Address: 5-18-20 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo

2 comments:

  1. I like it! I'm nervous about getting my hair cut in Hong Kong (even though I just want a trim so I can keep growing it out). I'm glad you had an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete